Sunday, October 2, 2022

Autumn Sunshine

I watched the sun melt away in the distant sky, it was a beautiful sight. The smell of simmering rain drops fading away on a heated grill was confirmation that it was now autumn. The golden brown leaves fell slowly from a nearby tree, we’d been caught off guard. Thinking we’d barbecue on the first day of autumn was a mistake, I could hear my wife calling me into the house. She was occupied in the basement, I could tell she’d been spinning wet clay, because I could smell ceramics burning from the kiln. The fall brought on new colors and a new mood. Answering her call, I ran into the house, my friends and I had gotten caught in the rain. Running and grabbing as much stuff as I could, I could feel the droplets of water soaking through my shoes onto my socks. Yes, it was now autumn. Sadly, my wife and I had just been laid-off and had so much free time, but maybe this was God’s plan. Maybe we needed some time together, some time with our family and friends. Turning to shut the patio storm door, I saw the rain slow down to a drizzle, it was officially autumn. The sound of the cool breeze brushing up against the tree branches, the fading to orange and brown maple leaves. I couldn’t help but pause and notice a reflection of my wife’s beautiful brown curly hair in the back of me. I could smell her sweet feminine perfume overtaking the smell of burning clay. She put her arms around mine as we both watched a beautiful rainbow emerge from the autumn sunshine setting in the distance. We were going to be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment