As a doctor I found myself at a crossroad.
Over my thirty year run I’d seen people come and go. I had my good days and bad days. I’d faced lawsuits and miracles but never before have I been so drained. Searching for some form of happiness I found myself in the heat of Africa trying to save a village from a lethal strain of Ebola. In all of my years of studying to find the right solution I felt my brain going numb. In the funk of night I heard a helicopter landing near my station. I thought they were bringing in medical supplies but it was for me. The other doctors noticed that I just wasn’t myself anymore. Drained in a room with patients begging for pain medicine I collapsed as they rushed me to the helicopter so I could return home. While in a deep sleep I could see my children playing outside. They were looking for me but I was out saving the world. Off in the distance I saw an image of myself alone. Always alone being called a good man, and a hero. As I awoke in a hospital gown I walked away from it all. I got me a cabin in the forest never to see another patient again.
It was the best decision of my life. Honestly, if I didn’t walk away I would have died trying to save the world.
The End
The Good Man
No comments:
Post a Comment