Sunday, May 1, 2022

The Brave

When I was born I cried entering a world of wonders.

I barely made it, and the hospital that saved me now sits vacant in ruins.

I’ve had some good days and some bad ones.

I’ve been in the presence of chiefs and generals, somedays, I admit, that I’ve even cried.

1 billion Indians, dead.

1 billion blacks, dead.

40 something Presidents, dead.

1 billion white men, dead.

1 billion Mexicans, dead.

Billions of people wanting freedom and justice for all, dead.

Looking back, then looking forward, one day I too will be dead.

As a child, I admit that I was afraid of the bully and hunger made me bitter, but deep in my heart, looking back at all of the dead bodies defying a nation full of death and dreams I have to admit one thing:

“Through it all, even in present day, bravery is worth a try. It has a way of pulling us all in. Once you throw the first punch or shoot the first bullet, there’s no turning back. An Irish man probably would say, “Good luck!”

The Brave

No comments:

Post a Comment