Tuesday, October 19, 2021

The Comedian

 I wanted to make people laugh, so me, my mom, my sister, and my dad drove all the way to New York City for a show. I’ve always enjoyed a good joke so I was eager to see what it felt like. I prepared for weeks, this was what I wanted to do. I didn’t want to drink, I just wanted to rehearse and tell a good joke so I could make some people laugh. This was my idea of a good time. I then got on stage only to notice that I had the wrong material for the right crowd. They moved me to the full room in which no one really had been into political jokes so I bombed, but the good thing was that I got a taste of show business. I got to try it out and got a few laughs from the joke delivered by me and the MC who intervened, “Yo dog, you ready to sit down?” This is what he asked after he sat and literally watched me make a fool out of myself.

Holding the microphone tightly, I replied , “Hell nah, I ain’t done with them yet. I at least got to get one laugh.” 

The crowd loved that punch line, so I took those little laughs and got the hell out of town. My vision of a huge crowd in some sold out stadium left me to see what the comedy club hopping life was really like and it wasn’t easy.

Once the show was over, the ride home was pretty quiet. I knew my little sister wanted to make fun of me but she stayed quiet. My first time just didn’t go as planned. What a sad first time ever on stage, but I sucked it up and tried again. My second gig was in my hometown, but I was well prepared and me and the audience had a ball. The crowd feedback was awesome. Each show taught me something about being on stage seeing that it was on my bucket list of things to try before I hit my thirties. What I learned the most was that some people can take a good joke and some people can’t. Another thing I learned was that while you’re up there alone spilling out your therapy, whether people laugh or not, you’re never alone on stage, it literally feels like a magical force is telling you what to say. The best punchline usually comes when the person who enjoys seeing you get it off your chest and deliver the honest truth about a very sad situation throws a laughing fit. Comedy 🎭 is just that, you take a bad situation and you turn it into a good joke. The liberation and ability to say what a lot of people are afraid to is spell-bounding but actually helps people realize that life really is a comedy that isn’t funny until you put a comedian in the room to turn it into a joke. Who dare try is the funniest part of all.

The Comedian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment