Friday, June 18, 2021

The Game of Reason

 I stood fifteen stories high wondering how to win the game.

The pieces were positioned outside of my favor and my odds of winning were slim.

The politician had my power and my tax money, the corner store and grocery store had my nourishments and the justice department had my will.

The doctor had my medicine and the entertainers had my thoughts.

The reverend had my God and the scientists had my genetic blueprint.

The gym had me running in circles and the teacher indoctrinated me.

The bank had my money and the government had my land.

The university’s had my trades and skills so what move could I make?

I had to figure out who was on my team, how could I win this game?

I slide my piece across the ledge fifteen stories high. 

Thinking I’d just made a good move I hear my baby daughter crying.

I have no clue who my opponents are and I can hear my wife searching for me. I’m so confused.

“Craig, Craig.”

Instead of folding, I get off of the ledge and go back into the small apartment to work on being a better father. I decide to play by the rules and read a book to increase my odds of at least breaking even. I wonder if it’s me against the world.

I almost lost the game of reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment