Monday, June 7, 2021

The Solo Bride

It was a cold winter night and I could tell by the room temperature that the furnace was having a hard time kicking on.

“Damn, this is just what I needed,” I said to myself, digging deeper into my thoughts for a solution. 

To be honest, it almost felt like everything was falling apart, and my wedding was in the morning. It’s a good thing she decided to stay at her mother’s house so we could do it the right way.

“Ahh, thank god, I can feel the heat revving up. I wonder if this could be a sign of me getting cold feet, I mean why get married at age fifty to someone I’ve only been dating for two months?” 

Laying in bed alone, these were the inner voices in my head... I had less than nine hours to make a decision. I tossed and turned while also comprehending the fact that if I showed up tomorrow at the wedding I would have to share my bed with someone for the rest of my life. 

I could hear my cousin Damion’s voice, “Marriage is all good until five years later...”

It’s now two o’clock in the morning and I’m still awoke thinking about skipping town. 

I get up to go to the bathroom to calm down...

“Why is she in such a rush to marry you? She must have something up her sleeve,” I hear my brother James saying over and over again as I face the mirror.

“Maybe I should call the wedding off until the summertime. Who gets married in the winter anyway? God help me! Why am I so nervous?”

Standing in the bathroom shaking, I feel my heart tighten up. I fall to the ground and flatline right before my wedding day.

The next day everyone goes on as usual until they realize that me and the best man are absent. 

James knocked on my door for hours then finally gave up. He assumed that I’d somehow been at the church already and while he stood there freezing cold outside of my house he noticed that he didn’t have his cell phone on him. Panicking he took a look at the time on his watch then rushed over to the church thinking that I was already there. Busting into a crowded church noticing that I wasn’t there he stopped in his tracks only to witness a solo bride searching for her groom.

My high blood pressure got the best of me. The thought of marriage killed me before we even tied the knot. What a tragic ending.

Til death do us part.

The Solo Bride.



No comments:

Post a Comment