Tuesday, March 22, 2022

The Gears of the Universe

Frighteningly, some people always believe that things are coming to an end. 

Frighteningly, we always want to be right and force our will upon other people.

These are common traits that we possess as human beings.

I’d come across an older woman who seemed very grounded in her religious beliefs…

It was clear that she’d had her mind made up about what I believed, yet, had no clue who I was as a person and never even took the time to ask. She told me that I was going to hell if I did not accept her God as my God.

From a distance, I’d come to the conclusion that our conversation would lead us no where. My mind was made up and her’s was too. We both were convinced because we were two very different people from two very different walks of life. My point to the woman was clear, and that was that it just seems foolish to send everyone to hell.

The idea seems very flawed.

I, myself, coming from the church, actually never felt like I was allowed to do any of my own thinking. 

My first thought was why is this woman talking to me as if I had no means to think or comprehend for myself.

This seemed very odd to me, but I did let her talk. 

Growing older and getting to know people, I’ve become a bit more mature in my walk with God.

I also have my own testimonies, but often times I don’t have too many friends or family to share them with.

So was I being stereotyped?

I mean, I do consider myself an academic, always striving to learn more. 

I don’t know why, and I have no clue what motivated this woman to belittle me when neglected to give my own thoughts and opinions on the subject at hand, a subject that I did have some knowledge about. Serving God my entire life I really felt offended.

Also being well studied, I’d come to accept the fact that the world is full of ideas, full of people, full of beliefs, with some yet to be discovered.

Am I going to hell for listening?

Being a practicing writer, I’ve learned a few things about history and the mysteries of religious relics;

Stone temples and statues that til this day mystify the human imagination.

Ironically, after my encounter with the woman, I noticed an article in the paper about a pastor set to retire. This pastor was once my preacher, he did my wedding vows. I was pleased to see this but felt insulted by how I’ve been stereotyped by other people from the same faith as me, about a faith that I too have contributed to my entire life. Sometimes being an American can be confusing, even while married I heard my own ex wife test my faith. 

Religion is something we all hold dear to our hearts, but I’ve learned that everyone’s methods are not the same, and if God is invisible, why do we often give him a face?

What if planet Earth is just another gear turning the universe?

What if some of us are just placed here to keep the gears turning?

Why do we so often desire to be the foot on top of others?

How do we know who’s going to hell or heaven? How do we know which story teller is right?

Some styles of thinking just don’t seem fair, so to keep the gears turning, I say write, paint, and spread the good news about how you feel about some of the greatest stories ever told, because some people never get to tell their stories.

In closing, if there is a doorway to heaven, the writer who invented it also invented hell, so where is he or she? He or she must have access to both places. I guess our minds just have to grow enough in knowledge to be able to obtain the keys of understanding how the gears of the universe turn. I guess I’ll stay in the middle and be the keystone that holds both sides together. In so doing, I’ve had to take a lot of punishment from both the left and the right, but by God’s grace, I’ve done my best to keep the gears turning.

The Gears of the Universe 

No comments:

Post a Comment