Wednesday, December 31, 2014
When on stage and on set actors need to know what to do in regards to motion. This practice of motion is called blocking. Blocking is needed because the director has to show what motions he or she wants from the actors while on stage performing. It's also important for the actors to practice these motions repetitiously so the play will run smoothly. Although mainly used in theatre blocking is used in many other entertainment aspects as well.
Tuesday, December 30, 2014
Ambitious writers and film makers need doorways just like anyone else in the entertainment world. A query letter is suppose to give you that doorway. Query letters are submitted to major publishers or theatres with a synopsis and a few sample pages designed to impress them enough to pick up your work. Most do write back saying they like your work or not it depends on the agency you send it to. To sum it up, a query letter is like a request to be noticed and accepted by a major publisher.
Monday, December 29, 2014
While walking by a tree outside in the summer a woman notices cards hanging from it, she stops for a second then continues on. In a suburb someone places an exhibit of an abandon house in an empty lot, while driving by observing, a car smashes into a parked vehicle. These are two examples of installation art. The gift of installation art is the fact that it catches the eye because of what the eye can be trained to see. The curse is it distracts the viewers as well, by taking them on a path they did not expect because most installation art is three dimensional. Installation art is different, its an unexpected change and sometimes its needed to remind people that anything can take up space. The amazing thing about installation art is the fact that the observer will look at it for a good length of time to capture the moment. The catch is will it show the observer that perception at times can be deceiving and will this art help you see through that perception?
Friday, December 26, 2014
When watching a performance it is important to know how many people are on stage and who is playing or speaking. Sometimes there is one person, and sometimes there are two or three. In a music or dance routine when there is a group of people performing it is called an ensemble.
Tuesday, December 23, 2014
There are many forms of art that people pass by everyday without even knowing the craft is an art. Did you know that cooking is an art? They call it Culinary Arts and baking bread is one step closer to learning more about this amazing art of mixing things that come from nature. Here is one way to cook bread (measurements vary depending on the size of the loaf):
- 1 package of dry yeast or 2 Tbsp
- Not warm but mild hot water about 95 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit - 3/4 to 2 cups
- Bread flour (not to be confused with regular flour all purpose is fine) - 3 to 5 cups
- 1-1/2 to 2 Tbsp. of Sugar
- 1 to 2 Tsp. of Salt
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. of Oil (Vegetable shortening)
- 1/2 to 1 and 1/2 cup of milk
- 3 loaf bread pan
- Thermometer preferable fast read
- Heat the oven to about 375 degrees
Monday, December 22, 2014
Sometimes it's hard to get rid of shadows when performing on stage and in films so they use a special light. This special light is called a fill light. The fill light is specifically used to get rid of shadows. The type of light used depends on the stage or set lighting used in the scene.
Friday, December 19, 2014
Books all over the world provide knowledge, but how to make a book is even better knowledge. Lets conceder these bright ideas when binding books together: Two leaves sewn together, punching holes in paper with metal clips or taking tissue paper and gluing them together. What about thermal binding? Thermal binding takes a strip of paper laced with glue or plastic of sort, then is firmly placed on the edges of grouped sheets of paper and heated to bind the sheets together. This is a simple description of thermal binding.
Thursday, December 18, 2014
Everyone would love to be in the spotlight and get their big break doing something major, but first you have to deliver and put the work in. The work requires memory and in entertainment that is about 75% of the job unless you have a plan to cheat. Here are five tips on how to memorize and get through lines:
- Spend two hours reading your lines over and over again. Repetition is one of the best ways to drill things into your brain. That is why you always carry your words on you, just in case you end up stuck somewhere and you have some time to kill.
- Go to rehearsal and don't miss. Not to many people know the power of practice and one to two hours of reading four or five days a week can make a big difference.
- Make a song with your lines. It sounds weird, but little tricks that can embed a line in your brain works miracles.
- You can also cheat by placing your lines somewhere where the audience or camera cannot see them.
- Have a friend or family member practice with you without your lines and when you cannot think of the line ask them to give it to you. Two hours of this four days a week can make it happen.
Wednesday, December 17, 2014
One simple way to learn how to play the piano is to know how your fingers are numbered before placing them on the keys. When playing the piano your fingers have numbers. Lets start with the left hand. Your pinky finger is number 5, your ring finger is number 4, the middle finger is number 3, the index finger is number 2 and the thumb is number 1. Follow the same numbers with your right hand and you are one step closer to learning how to play the piano.
Tuesday, December 16, 2014
If you have ever watched a talk show and at the beginning of the show the host tells jokes, then you have some idea on what a monologue is. An act away from a dialogue, a monologue consist of one person expressing their thoughts. Usually when two people have a conversation, it's just that, two people. A monologue is one person engaging an audience or even just themselves in the mirror with no response except laughter or boos. The purpose of the monologue is the same as a solo singer; to deliver the message from their perspective just like a singer would sing a song.
Monday, December 15, 2014
There are different ways to extract sound. One method is mono, which is used for mainly talk shows or AM stations etc.. The mono extraction has one wave and sends sound through one channel. It can be identified by one black band on the tip of the silver or gold male end of the connections. Stereo runs through two channels and is mainly used in films and FM stations etc. Stereo has two waves usually labeled left to right. Stereo connections can be identified with two black bands on the tip of the silver or gold male end of the connection.
Friday, December 12, 2014
Thursday, December 11, 2014
In the fashion world there are different looks. One particular look that can make a model standout in the new era is the vintage look. The vintage look, which is at times considered to be modest or old fashion, is the look that uses a light fabric or older garments of sort. There are many designers and fashion models who still display this look even in this new world of fashion. Male models also use the vintage look at times. Professional models know this look and should be honored for keeping history looking good in modern days.
Wednesday, December 10, 2014
Sign of the times when an entertainment guru gets their 15 minutes of fame and someone asks them, if he or she will be at the matinee and they respond with a "Huh?" Well, true wisdom is enough to know that it's what's in the heart that counts. The matinee is the afternoon show of a performance and yes, I looked it up.
Tuesday, December 9, 2014
Every occupation has terms. The media has a language of its own that is used to explain the purpose of an action or object. Here are five terms that deal with cost:
- Ad Allowable- this terms explains the amount you can spend within your budget.
- Back-end sales- a transaction made in regards to an infomercial.
- Cost of Goods- The total cost of the process.
- Cost per lead- The cost involved with questions about a product an example would be: if someone calls wanting to know more about your product. That phone call is considered a lead.
- Cost per order- the total cost to generate one order.
Monday, December 8, 2014
Characters are important to writers. Being able to match faces with the vision on screen can be even trickier. Developing your characters takes time and thought. Here are five tips to help you create your own characters:
- Base your characters off of someone you know.
- Use your imagination and create someone you have always wanted to be.
- Find a dummy and make him smart or find someone smart and make them a dummy.
- Read the bible or other well know books and develop your characters around the one of your choice.
- Make something live again or make something you wish could talk speak words of life.
Friday, December 5, 2014
The magic of art comes from the spirit. It can be described by many, as a divine gift that a person has to interpret what they see. Abstract art work is the presence of shapes, images and even figures drawn from pure emotion. A good example, would be splattered paint on a paper. Abstract art is everywhere. Some amateurs or those with minimal art experience would look at some pieces of abstract work and loss out on the message that the artist is portraying. They may feel the work is to vague. Abstract work has feeling that embraces your thoughts. This feeling traps you into the mind of the artist. The lines, shapes and colors exploit the viewer to want to know more about the piece of work. A shape on a piece of paper with an orange line through it, would be a good example of abstract work. If you draw a person, this may be considered outside of abstract work, although some pieces my look like a person. That is the magic of abstract pieces, most of the images are unintentional and may seem that the artist is going nowhere.
Thursday, December 4, 2014
Most music genres require certain producers. Each tempo or rhythm changes as the ages go by. The artist must deliver the song with feeling. That feeling is what moves the listeners. It may be safe to say that about 80% of that feeling comes from the instruments. The snare drum is a percussion instrument that is included in a drum set. It sits on a stand as a table top would sit from the floor, it has rattles which are little metal wires that stretch across the heads of the drum called snares. Some only come with one rattle depending on the type. There are many fashions of snare drums depending on the usage. The sound is uniform and is often used in marching bands, especially military. A good description would be a round wheel shaped instrument with two plastic heads as the hubcaps. The typical snare drum (which depends on the usage) that is tapped with the drum stick is about 14,8,6 or 3 inches deep. The plastic or Mylar skins are about 10-7 mils thick depending on the type of snare drum and the usage. This instrument creates a sound similar to taping a thin hollow bucket with a very small thin chain attached to it.
For more information on the snare drum search you selected knowledge sources or look online and search snare drum.
For more information on the snare drum search you selected knowledge sources or look online and search snare drum.
Wednesday, December 3, 2014
Sometimes people confuse theatre with an actual place that cost money to rent, but actually any location can be a theatre. One important word that gives theatre its custom, is "platform stage". A platform stage is the stage itself and can be setup anywhere with any size. Some places even use crates as a stage. The idea is to have a place where people can sit around and watch a performance. A good example, is watching little kids play house, it may not appear to them what they are doing, but if they had an audience they would actually be performing. Some other forms of theatre stage setups include:
- The arena stage, where the stage is in the middle and the audience is all around.
- The proscenium stage, where the audience is seated in the front of the stage. The apron or arch most commonly is in the front of the stage, some don't have an arch at all.
- Thrust stage, which seats the audience on just three sides excluding the back of the stage.
- There are also other profile, flexible or traverse stages often used for fashion shows or basketball games.
Tuesday, December 2, 2014
The concept of printing can open our minds up to a world of ideas on how to mass produce, but what if we used computers to print what's in our imagination. This idea was on the minds of a lot of noble thinkers and slowly came to reality as the years progressed. They call it the e-book. The e-book has the same purpose as a printed book but has many different functions. Here are some pros and cons:
- The e-book saves trees
- The e-book is just a digital copy of a printed book, what happens if the publisher goes out of business or the battery dies.
- The devices used to read the e-book cost a lot of money to produce.
- People can hack digital content but can share printed content.
- Printed books takes a lot of resources to produce, where as e-books just need to be uploaded.
- Although it is cheaper to publish an e-book, your readers will spend a lot on the device used to read it. You will spend quite a bit on printed books but the reader can keep the book for a lifetime.
- Storage on e-books are much better because printed books take up space and you could put bookshelf makers out of business.
- With the e-book you can zoom in on content and have audio read the content to you on some devices. When using a printed book you just have a magnifying glass or glasses with an audio device playing the content.
- Some e-books give off light, printed books don't.
Monday, December 1, 2014
Most people think you have to have millions of dollars to promote a film. Well, although money makes a big difference you don't necessarily have to have a lot. Here are five simple ways to promote your film on a small budget:
- Have a movie premiere or see if a local theatre will let you show your movie.
- Release a trailer online and share it with your friends.
- Release the film online and receive revenue from the advertisements to invest in the next project.
- Pass out fliers, business cards, and print posters so people will know where to find your film.
- Set up a booth at an event that is in the same genre of your film and have the actors, business cards, fliers, and posters on display along with the film itself.