Wednesday, November 8, 2023

The Retirement Party

 “Well John, me and my wife would like to congratulate you on 30 years here at Aluminum Steel,” Curtis said as John accepted his sincere invitation.

“So what are you going to do with all of your spare time John?” His cousin Pete asked.

“I don’t know, probably sleep. I don’t have any kids. I’m not married. Probably just sleep.” John replied.

The next day, John woke up and there was nothing to do. He got tired of hanging out at the gym, he didn’t drink, and he wasn’t really in to what the new school folks were in to. He tried to get involved with politics but really didn’t have the stomach for it. He thought about opening up his own business but had little education. Realizing that he’d gained twenty pounds in less than two months, he came to the conclusion that he had to find something to do or he would fade away. In about month eight, John got a call from his old boss.

“Hey, how’s retirement treating you?” Ron asked.

“Well, I have a lot of time on my hands and everything that I do seems like I’m running in circles. After watching several movies and reading several books, I’ve come to the conclusion that the main characters always seems to win.”

Ron laughed,

“Ah, well, let me get to the point, none of the young folks are showing up to work, would you like to come back for double your wages as before?” Ron abruptly asked.

Realizing that his new life had him on the edge, he quickly checked his bank account. It’s amazing how fast a retirement check can wither away. He thought about how many times he’d played in the community theater plays since he’d been retired. He thought about how many stores he’d been at and how he’d become the guy who had a bit too much time for conversation. He thought about how tired he’d gotten of his family who always hounded him for cash. His last thought was his last words with his parents before they died, the conversation led him to realize that everyone that he’d grown up with had moved on to new things and some had passed on to the next life. John found himself in a bubble where nothing mattered anymore. Church wasn’t the same and honestly all he had left was work.

“Count me in Ron. I’ll be in first thing in the morning.” John said.

After he ended the conversation he gracefully went upstairs to ironed his old uniform. He had something to look forward to.

The Retirement Party

No comments:

Post a Comment