Friday, September 23, 2022

The College Nest

I studied until my brain went numb.

I went through quiz after quiz and test after test.

My college debt ballooned to $80,000.

My life, my situation, and my circumstances seemed like they would never change.

For some reason when I graduated I kept thinking about an eagle. I kept thinking about the essay I wrote on how the bird literally tosses it’s kids out of the nest and if they don’t fly they die. Receiving my degree, I kept imagining myself with no choice but to fly. I was so desperate to pay down my college debt and get a job that I applied for every opening that I could think of. I even built a computer program with the intent to get rich. Falling out of the nest I held on to my mother’s leg because I couldn’t afford a house or apartment so I held on. Looking down I noticed a flock of students in the same position as me. As my mother shoved my tight grip loose, I fell into an entire generation of college students in debt and searching for the things that made sense in life: A car, a good job, a family, and a place to call home. Feeling my pain, they caught me and saved me from falling. We were all stronger together and began to use our skills to fly and save the next generation. We began to work on our troubles and solve our own problems. Picking each other up we all learned how to fly with the little wings that we had. Eventually, after a huge storm, we soared like eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment