Saturday, May 30, 2020

Heart Attack

I felt a sharp pain in my chest, for I’d been overwhelmed with stress.
I got up, then sat back down.
My heart had been broken.
The people I loved had been falling apart...
Disintegrating right before my eyes.
I felt like a failure.
If only I’d shown them the way...
Reached my goals by teaching my children how to lay bricks like me.
When my heart began to slow down, time stood still.
It’s like I’d been connected to something, connected to everyone.
Then something happened, someone touched me.
My heart skipped a beat, they knew my name, I mattered to them.
Out of all of the fighting, protest and rioting, someone grabbed my hand, picked me up and took me to the hospital.
When I saw the doctors and nurses working together to save me, I felt something tingle inside me.
My blood began to flow, I felt alive seeing people working together, I felt some form of hope.
All my life I’d lived in the slums of my country and never knew that this type of teamwork existed.
I’d been blinded by the mean streets I lived in.
I’d been brainwashed to be pessimistic about everything and everyone...
Then I saw the nurses and community workers coming together to help me up out of my coma.
I was wrong.
They cared about me, they showed me love.
This was my language, I understood this, just never knew it existed.
For the jungle life had deceived me.
My heart completely healed when I got up from my bed and saw people building instead of tearing down.
I saw the construction workers working in unison from my hospital room window.
The birds were singing.
I then checked out of the hospital and began to lay bricks with my children.
For I was not made to see people torn apart but United.
I thought I’d died and gone to heaven, was this reality?

Heart Attack

No comments:

Post a Comment