Thursday, December 14, 2017

Who made it to the Dinner Table this Year

Well, it's that time of year again, but there's a slight problem, there's only three of us left in the family. The holidays can be bitter when you're broke and barely hanging on to the family tree, if you know what I mean. I called Ms. Clark and she was still trying to put up a billboard. I called Ms. Moore and she was trying to get over an argument with a friend. I called Mr. Williams and he was watching old seventies reruns. My cousin Trina started using drugs. Grandpa and Uncle Johnny are dead. I haven't had a good intimate relationship for years now. Listening to the sounds of the season, I didn't feel quite up to it but I kept listening. In all my years of living, I had never heard of or seen so many people missing at the dinner table. I turned on the news and saw a big difference than years ago. It almost seemed like we had sold ourselves to what we tried to run from years ago. There was science, religion, bargains and people of different ethnic groups but no holiday spirit, and all of the saints looked tired. I looked outside and the snow was white but no one looked like they cared anymore and I didn't see little children making angels in the snow. It's like the magic was slowly slipping away and everyone was fighting for nothing. Hmmmm, I wonder what happened? I guess after all of the arguing about how to make a day holy, everyone forgot about each other and started arguing about everything else then wore themselves out in the process. In all of the darkness, I just sat down at the table and played Christmas songs that we used to listen to when everyone in the family had been in their right mind. I put pictures of how it used to be on the table and ate with everyone and laughed. I used my imagination. We all have to leave this earth someday but I'm going to make the best out of the hand that I was dealt. When I sat down at the table to eat, I noticed lights from outside blending in with the tree. I guess all it takes is one believer.
However you celebrate, I ask one thing this year: I ask that you never forget the young child in the family that has to pass the torch, he or she is watching how you celebrate. Why not leave them with something to remember, come together;-)
Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  There's enough joy for everyone in each category.

No comments:

Post a Comment